Clan Grant

Grant Clan Crest: The burning rock of Craigellachie (the rock of alarm).

Grant Clan Chief's Motto: Stand Fast, Craig Elachie. Clansman's Motto: Craig Elachie

Grant Clan History:

The Grants first emerge in Scotland in the mid-13th century. Sir Laurence de Grant served as Sheriff of Inverness in 1263 and is thought to have come north from Nottinghamshire where his mother's family, the Bissets, were landowners. At the same time, Robert, his brother, held lands in Nairnshire. There is also a tradition that the Highland Grants were somehow associated with Clan Gregor as members of Siol Alpin and thus descend from the father of King Kenneth MacAlpin. Certainly they followed Robert the Bruce, John and Randolph de Grant being taken prisoner by the English at the Battle of Dunbar in 1296. Through their loyalty to King Robert, they received the lands of Glenmoriston and Glen Urquhart, and, owning rich lands in the Spey valley, became firmly entrenched as a Highland clan.  In 1563, Sir James Grant built Castle Freuchie, the name being changed two centuries later to Castle Grant.

Places of Interest:
Grantown-on-Spey, Inverness-shire. This town was planned by Sir James Grant of Castle Grant in 1776.

Castle Grant, north of Grantown-on-Spey. This dates from the 17th century and, the name having been changed from Freuchie in the 17th century, it became the seat of the earls of Seafield.

Urquhart Castle, near Drumnadrochit on Loch Ness. James IV gifted the castle to John Grant of Freuchie in 1509. It was this John Grant who built most of the structure which can be seen today. The Grants held Urquhart Castle for 400 years despite part of it being blown up to deny Jacobite access in 1691.